IBM Blade Cluster
Palpatine is a blade cluster with a cabine of the 14 blades of capacity, we have 6 blades intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5310 at 1.60GHz and 3 blades with a powerpc 64 bits at 2.2 GHz, each blade have 4 processors running a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4). Each Blade have 2 GB of RAM.
The system have a Management computer, its function is:
- Management and control of the all blades.
- User Management.
- Licenses Management.
- Storage management.
Actually, the machine is mainly running two softwares:
- Definiens XD for Life Sciences is a comprehensive software suite for multidimensional (2D, 3D and 4D) image analysis in Life Sciences and Medical Imaging. It contains all the client and server software needed to extract intelligence from any digital image in a fully- or semi-automated way. The Client Software is role-based and caters to the needs and skills of different users in an organization. The Server Software, known as Definiens Server XD, is a processing environment that allows the batch processing of jobs. It is hugely scalable and capable of handling millions of images in a single job.
- Client Software: Definiens Developer XD is a powerful and completely integrated environment designed for image analysis specialists to develop, test and package new image analysis applications. Definiens Developer XD can be used as a standalone tool or in combination with the Definiens Server XD. Definiens Developer XD incorporates the latest generation of Definiens Cognition Network Technology® enabling the creation of multidimensional image analysis applications. It incorporates a new programming paradigm, high performance analysis for complex multidimensional data and sophisticated viewing, visualization and registration capabilities.
- Server Software: The Definiens Server XD provides a processing environment for the batch execution of image analysis using a high-performance grid computing environment. Definiens Server XD includes specific components designed to meet all the needs of the multidimensional image analysis required for cell, tissue and non-invasive imaging in Life Sciences and Healthcare.
- The TreeDet (Tree Determinant) Server (treedetv2.bioinfo.cnio.es) is a system designed to integrate results from methods that predict functional sites in protein families. These methods take into account the relation between sequence conservation and evolutionary importance. TreeDet fully analyses the space of protein sequences in user-uploaded multiple sequence alignments. The methods implemented in the server represent three main classes of methods for the detection of family-dependent conserved positions, a tree-based method, a correlation based method and a method that employs a principal component analyses coupled to a cluster algorithm. An additional method is provided to highlight the reliability of the position in the alignments.